Friday, December 9, 2011

Just Checking In and Today's Verse Galatians 6:9

Photobucket

Today's Verse:


Galatians 6:9


Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Not giving up is hard.  It is certainly hard for me.  I am not saying that I give up easily but it can happen in a breath.  Because I really, really want to make something out of myself I am writing right now when honestly, I'd rather jump into bed.

It was a rough day.  

My alarm went off at 5:00 am.  I didn't freak out or anything.  I just listened for my son.  This is what I do every morning from Monday through Friday.  I listen to make sure that he gets up and gets into the shower.  Once I am sure he has done just that, I drop back to sleep until my alarm goes off again at 5:30 am.  At that point I get up and do the shower thing.  When done I wake my son up (yes...after he showers he goes back to sleep - we love sleeping) so he can finish getting ready and then we continue on with our daily routine until it is time to drop him off at the bus stop.  

The first part went as expected.  My alarm went off, I listened and heard my son get in the shower, and I fell back to sleep.  I slept great and had a wonderful dream of a place that I dream about occasionally.  More than occasionally really.  I dreamed about a town that I go back to all the time.  So much that I recognize the total landscape...the hotels, restaurants, hills valleys and other features of this town.  It is some little dream place of mine.  Sorry...I am not staying on point am I?

Where was I?  Yes.  I fell asleep.  I just drifted along in this wonderful dream, but then I felt this need to wake up.  It seemed impossible, but yep, I overslept.  It was 7:00 am.  NIGHTMARE TIME!  I had to literally leap out of bed and get in the shower.  On the way I rapped on my son's door and told him to get ready in a flash because I was going to have to take him to school.  Once washed I quickly got a sandwich ready for him for his lunch and another for him to eat for breakfast.  While he ate, I got dressed, poured myself an iced coffee (I would have preferred hot coffee but time was of the essence) and somehow got us out the door.  I got my son to school on time, and got myself to work 15 minutes late.  That stunk, but it really could have been much worse.  

I honestly thought for a moment about just letting my son stay home so we could avoid all the chaos.  That would have been a bad thing to do.  It is one thing to miss school when you are sick, but missing school because your mom woke up late...not good.  It would have been a bad message to give my son. It would have been easier to do rather than race about, but again, the message would have been a bad one and it would have been  a lesson that would be hard to unlearn.  


And now I am totally exhausted and really am ready to get some rest.  But first, what does this verse,  Galatians 6:9 mean to me?  Here it is again:  


Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.


Today meant doing good by getting my son to school even though it would most likely make me late.  It meant moving even though I could probably justify not doing so.  By doing good in taking my son to school he saw that he is a priority in my life.  I was not going to let his needs drop because I didn't want to be a little late for work.  His education is a priority.  If he sees that it is a priority for me, he will understand that it should also be a priority for him.  He also saw that sometimes you have to push yourself and just not give up.  We pushed and we made it.  


It was a rough start, but it was a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment