Monday, January 2, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - January 2, 2012 to January 8, 2012

Yay!!!!!  It is Menu Plan Monday, and I am so excited.  It has been such a long time since I have participated, and this is the first time on my new blog.  I know that this is definitely going to be a good thing for my family and our budget.  So big thanks to Laura from I'm An Organizing Junkie for keeping all of us inspired! 

Planning a menu can be a bit of a challenge for me.  Wednesdays are a must for something quick and easy or a leftover as I have to work on thrifty tips for Thursday.  Personally I'd rather not take the time to think of this all in one day, but it really does beat worrying about it last minute while on the way home from work.

This month menu planning is going to be vital.  I am not using my credit card to shop with all month, and frankly this scares me a great deal. I am going to try to use primarily what we already have on hand.  In some ways that is quite a bit, but in others...not so much.  This is because a few months ago our refrigerator died and that drastically diminished the food stock I normally would have on hand in the freezer.  Either way...I don't have a choice, because we are trying to keep most spending off of the card for the next few months as we try to tackle the cost of the replacement fridge.  

As far as leftovers go, I have a glut of ham leftover from Christmas, so I am also trying to incorporate that into as many meals as I can think of as well.  Sandwiches for lunches are a good bet, and I have also been lunching on Cobb salads as well minus the turkey, egg, and cheese...ah let's face it,I am eating a lot of ham salads.  I also made Senate bean soup which is now filling up half of my freezer.  I would do scallop potatoes with ham but I find that absolutely gross.  I grew up on rich scallop potatoes and now they just make my stomach turn.  I think a ham and cheese calzone will be just perfect for getting some more ham eaten up.


Honestly, I am just thrilled about getting this going again.  How freeing it is not having to think about dinner EVERY day when I am on the way home.  Now I just need to stick with it. 


Monday - Barbecue Pork Rolls with Spring Mix Salad
Tuesday - Ham & Cheese Calzone (light on the cheese)
Wednesday - Leftover Shredded Pork Enchiladas (Sunday's dinner)
Thursday - Panko Breaded Chicken Spring Mix & Romaine Salad
Friday - Spaghetti and Meatballs
Saturday - Pepperoni Pizza
Sunday - Baja Fish Tacos (with Tilapia)


My husband isn't one for eating leftovers until they are gone so I have been freezing more of our meal portions.  I hope to incorporate those into meals in the future weeks.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment